As part of the chapter I am currently revising, I need an updated list of "Recommended Writers' Conferences." The following list is preliminary. it contains recommendations from other writers and Facebook friends. I would welcome your input as well. Which really good conferences are missing from this list? Are there problems with any of the choices I have gathered so far? All genres and all regions are welcome. I do NOT want to include any meetings whose main purpose is getting you to sign up for some sort of publishing deal. Leave your comment below.
Some Writers’ Conferences to Consider
I have not included specific dates or website URLs because these vary from one year to the next. However, you can find any one of these organizations through a simple search engine.
In the Spring:
· San Francisco Writers Conference in February
· SleuthFest in Boca Raton, FL in February.
· South by Southwest (SXSW) in Austin, TX in March.
· Northern Colorado Writers Conference in Fort Collins in the Spring. In the Spring:
During the Summer:
· Historical Novel Society, alternating years between North America and England in June.
· Philadelphia Writers Conference (PWC), held in the Historic District of Philadelphia, in June.
· Midwest Writers Workshop, Muncie, Indiana, in July.
· Sewanee (TN) Writers’ Conference in July.
· Romance Writers of America Annual Conference, somewhere in USA in July.
· Women and the Civil War, somewhere east of the Mississippi in July.
· Thrillerfest in New York City in July.
· Writer’s Digest Conference in New York City in August.
· Killer Nashville (TN) in August.
In the Fall:
· Historical Writers of America in New Mexico in September.
· Military Writers Society of America, somewhere in USA in September.
· Lost Lake Writers’ Retreat, in Lincoln, Michigan, in October.
· James River Writers Conference (www.jamesriverwriters.org) in Richmond, VA, in October.
· BookBaby Independent Authors Conference, Philadelphia in November.